Skip to Content
Tips to help DSU Fire Marshal’s office meet fire and life safety code in buildings:
- Properly store combustible materials.
- Boiler, mechanical, and electrical equipment rooms are kept free from and combustible materials
- No storage above 18” in a building that is sprinkled and 24” in a non-sprinkled building.
- Clear area in front of fire extinguishers, electrical panels, fire alarm panels and all exits.
- Dumpsters are not within 5 feet of combustible wall openings or under eave lines.
- Keep fire rated doors from being wedged open.
- No storage in stairwells and egress areas.
- Keep the occupancy load in rooms to fire code.
- Contact Fire Marshal’s office before any event that requires inspection.
- No candles, candle warmers, scented plug in devices in state owned buildings.
- Live Christmas trees are prohibited in campus buildings.
- Do not overload circuits or use extension cords as permanent wiring.
- Do not park in fire lanes or fire apparatus approved roadways.
- Know emergency procedures and comply with them
- Keep office and building space clean and free of combustibles.